Sunday, December 28, 2008

2 Weeks of Maisey


Two weeks ago I rewarded my completion of another semester of school with something I've been thinking about getting for quite some time... a house dog. While I grew up with hounds (especially basset hounds), I wanted something a little smaller and not quite so easy to trip over in the house. Something that would be a faithful sidekick to not only ourselves, but even our cat, Lucky.

I have been amazed by the cairn terriers for quite some time, ever since encountering one when I worked at a veterinary clinic when I was a teenager. After much research, I decided that a cairn terrier would work well in our home and began actively searching for one. When you begin looking for a specific breed, though, you quickly discover that unless you want a lab, lhasa apso or poodle, you may be out of luck. After searching for a few months, I finally found my dog, and two weeks ago 4 month old Maisey came to live with us.

I have friends that cannot understand why I would willingly bring something else that needs feeding into my household. The answer is quite simple.... everyone has their priorities and, unless it interferes with your family's health or well being, nobody's is better than anyobody else's. Yes, it might be cheaper for us not to have another pet. That would be less dog food bought and less veterinary care BUT it's also another friend to all of us. Someone to listen to us rant and rave without judgment. Someone who doesn't mind that we're not perfect and kind of clumsy even on our best days. Research has proven that pets can lower stress levels. Considering the costs associated with doctor's exams and medication, I'd much rather choose a dog for my treatment.


No comments:

Post a Comment